Wednesday, August 10, 2011

How old were you on 9/11? What do you remember about it?

I was 9 years old and in 4th grade. I remember that it was a completely normal day, but then suddenly, all of the teachers started acting weird. They were whispering to each other and they all looked really worried, but they wouldn't tell us what happened. Tons of people in my cl started getting called down to the office for early dismissal, and we couldn't figure out why so many people's parents were coming to pick them up. The principal came on the intercom and told us that something had happened, but that she didn't want to talk about it, so she told us to talk to our parents about it when we got home. So I finally did get home and my parents were watching the news. That's when I saw the footage of the planes crashing into the World Trade Center. My mom explained to me what happened, and that was when I first learned about terrorists. I remember feeling angry that anyone could be so evil and kill so many innocent people. To this day, I am very thankful that nothing happened to my dad, because at that time, I lived only about 45 minutes away from where the Pentagon was. My dad had used to work at the Pentagon but he had transferred to a different place about a year before 9/11. If he had still worked there he might not be here today...it is truly a blessing that he is still here with us. Since we lived near the Pentagon, a lot of kids that lived in my area lost their parents. :( It was so sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment